Young Men’s Institute
Bakersfield Council #100
Who We Are
The YMI is a fraternal order of Catholic men that has been in existence since 1883. Today, we operate across 37 Councils in three states and our membership is over 2,500. Our purpose is three fold: Faith, Patriotism, and Fraternalism.
• Faith – We pledge ourselves to be practicing Catholics and we are active participants supporting our parishes.
• Patriotism – We love our country, respect her laws, and show our public support for America by voting, flying our flags, and reciting the Pledge of Allegiance at each meeting.
• Fraternalism – As members of YMI, we extend our hand to each other in brotherly love and call each other “brother.” Family values are important to us, so our families are included in many of our functions.
Our motto is “Pro Deo, Pro Patria: For God, For Country.” Accordingly, we actively support programs and activities that benefit the Catholic faith, such as religious orders, seminarians, and missions as well as community and civic causes such as youth recreation, education, and people in need.
The emblem of the YMI consists of a cross, star, and a palm branch. The cross is a symbol of holy religion and is a reminder that Jesus Christ became man and died for us. The star represents the star that the wise men followed to find our Lord Finally, the palm branch reminds us that peace and goodwill should always prevail among us.
View More About the Young Men's Institute:
We are a group of young men trying to better the world of today. A brotherhood brought together by the call of God. The Mission of the YMI is to provide for the mutual aid and good will, the moral, intellectual and social improvement of its members, devotion to the Catholic Church, and loyalty to our country in accordance with its motto: “Pro Deo, Pro Patria – For God, For Country.” To achieve this mission, the YMI dedicates itself to the education of its members in things Catholic, in things American and in all things that will lead all men to their ultimate salvation.
There are many reasons to join the YMI. Our members and their families enjoy participating in various club programs and social events such as the following:
• Mass Celebrations – Each year we come together to celebrate an Annual Red & White Mass and renew our brotherhood.
• Dinners – Many councils host dinners for their members throughout the year, as well as parties and summer picnics.
• Tournaments – We sponsor golf, bowling, and bocce ball tournaments each year so our members can have fun and test their skills!
Students of members, ranging from junior high to college age are entitled to participate in lucrative scholarship contests offered by the YMI, the YMI Educational Foundation and many of its councils.
Our members are also entitled to receive death benefits and educational assistance through the YMI Educational Foundation for school-aged children in the event of a member dying early in life.
Finally, our members can enjoy the fellowship of working together with their brothers on various YMI causes and the satisfaction realized from helping to make a difference though our work efforts and financial support. We contribute tens of thousands of dollars each year to worthwhile organizations in our parishes and communities.